I Want to Wake up in a City That Never Sleeps (Day 2)

Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Day 2 started with us waiting in line to get "rush" tickets for a Broadway show. Rush tickets are limited supply discount tickets for people at the theater right when it opens. We were waiting in line for the show Waitress, when I decided that on the chance we didn't get tickets, it would be smart if I was already in line at another theater for a different show. So I quickly ran down to the Aladdin theater, only to discover they do not sell rush tickets. So then I ran all the way back up and past the Waitress theater, to wait in line for School of Rock. As we waited I chatted with the couple in front of me and the college girls behind me. It was crucial that I make friends, because if Tiffany and Aubrey couldn't make it to the theater before I got to the ticket window, then I would have to have someone buy tickets in proxy for them. Right when I got to the window, Tiffany called and said that they had gotten "partial view" tickets for Waitress, so back to the Waitress theater I went. With all that running around, it was time to go get food. We headed to one of our most anticipated food destinations, Levain Bakery. 

It's located on the Upper West Side. 

While in line, I asked a group of ladies what their favorite purchase was, and they said that they had tried everything, and offered me some pumpkin bread they had just bought. I gladly accepted and asked where they were from, because my Mormon radar was tingling. One of them said they were from Utah, and I jumped right in and said, "me too!" to which they found just utterly delightful. We all ended up chatting with them for a bit and then we found out that one of their grandsons was in Aubrey's 3rd grade class. Like I said before, the Mormon world is a small one.  


Our fellow girls trip travelers.

Then it was time to get down to business, trying one of theses cookies we had heard so much about. 

They have 4 kinds of cookies, but we just bought one with plans to come back and try the rest throughout the course of our trip. We first tried the chocolate chip walnut cookie. It was good, but probably not worth all of the hype. Especially at $4 a pop. This may sound boastful, but Tiffany and I have made better cookies. 

We then walked to the the Museum of Natural History


Teddy Roosevelt, what a guy.

Afterwards we rented Citibikes and rode around Central Park. Using Citibikes meant that we could use them for 24 hours, but we had to dock them every 30 minutes. Thirty minutes creeps up on your much faster than you are expecting, so it wasn't always a relaxing experience. 
The Boat House. 


Bethesda Fountain


At one point we had to carry our bikes up some stairs, because we didn't exactly always stay on the roads. 


We ended up not docking our bikes in time the second go around, and were fined. The price we paid for taking pictures. 

The Upper West Side is a picturesque place. 


We then biked to lunch (which would have been a lot easier had the roads had actual bike lanes) and after  a day and a half of carbs, it was time for a salad. It was dang good. But I mean, you can always make room for more carbs,  and what happened to be just around the corner, but Levain Bakery! So it was time to try another cookie. 

This time we went for the chocolate peanut butter chip cookie, which I thought was superior to the first. 

We added another public transportation to our list, and took the bus to see the Met. 





Living our Gossip Girl dreams. Move over Serena and Blair, there are new girls in town. 


We used our bikes one more time, and biked down to 5th avenue and walked along it till we got to Rockefeller Center.




Tiffany got pizza for dinner, and the guys there threw in 3 garlic knots for free for us to try. Our natural charm once again helping us get free food. 


I went to see what all the hype was about and tried the Shake Shack burger.

It was then time for our play. 
They pumped the theater with a smell of pie, and sold it during intermission. I've never wanted pie so much in my life.

Christian came to join us. We had a private box all to ourselves, and were essentially 6 rows from the stage. However, it was partial view so a couple of times we couldn't exactly tell what was going on and had to lean over our balcony to get a better view. 

Of course, we couldn't let the night end without getting some dessert. Schmakerys Cookies it was, and honestly I prefer them to Levain Cookies. They had a lot of delicious flavors. 

Then like the tourists that we were, we went to Times Square for no reason at all. 
We decided to take advantage of Christians phone camera and had a midnight photoshoot. 


I'm starting to think that the iPhone + is worth it just for the "portrait mode" camera setting. 


Tiffany probably looking at the abundant Ernst and Young advertisements.  

Aubrey laughing so she won't cry because there were no bathrooms in Times Square for her to use. 

After taking pictures and running all around looking for a bathroom, we called it a night and headed back to our hotel with plans to sleep in the next morning. Sleeping in meaning 8:30am that is. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs