A Memorial Weekend in Seattle

Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Long ago (about 15 years), my cousin Breanne and I went on a summer trip with our grandparents. We travelled to Seattle, Alaska, Portland, and San Fransisco (just to name a few). All these years later, Breanne ended up outside of Seattle, and I ended up outside of San Fransisco. I decided that now was a good time to revisit my past and while I was at it, Breanne, because it had been about two years since we had seen each other.  So I booked myself a Memorial Day weekend trip to Seattle. 

However even longer ago, I was born. And it just so happened that Memorial day weekend was kicked off with my birthday. I celebrated by getting a manicure, getting dinner with friends, and then jumped on a plan to Seattle. 
Here is to 26!

Breanne, Adam, and I spent our Saturday exploring Seattle. First and foremost, (but not really, because we walked around a bunch of shops before we ended up here), we recreated a childhood picture. 
prepping for the shot 


15 years later and still wearing coordinating outfits. 


We then headed to the infamous gum wall. 
We thought it was gross. 
Next stop was Pikes Market, where I ran into some Bay Area friends. 



We waited outside (in the rain) for 40 minutes to try a Piroshky Piroshky piroshky. 


Honestly, I'd do it again.


Though once one of the employees found out that Breanne and Adam were locals he said, "why didn't you go to the other location up the street?!" Apparently we are just all about that original location life. 

I also tried this greek yogurt from Ellenos and though it might not look like much, it was one of the best things I ate all weekend.


We passed the other Piroshky Piroshky en route to our next stop, and low and behold, no line. 

It started raining pretty hard, so we found refuge in the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Discovery Center.
We passed our time by drawing some pictures


and then hung them proudly on this wall for all to see.

We also took some pictures in the photo booth and came up with this inspiring message: 
Once we were pretty soaked through with rain (an umbrella somehow escaped the "to bring" list), we headed back to the car and drove home. We spent the rest of the night hot tubbing, grabbing some BBQ for dinner, hitting up the grocery store, and watching a movie. 

After church on Sunday, Breanne and I drove to Alki beach to get a nice view of the Seattle sky line. 

We asked someone to take a picture for us. 
He was clearly most interested in getting the Space Needle in the shot, and could care less about the skyline. 

We drove back to Breanne's house to eat a delicious dinner, and followed it with a walk/hike down to the coast. The walk was through a forest hillside that ended here:
  
 It was such a pretty walk, and the weather was perfect. 

 Matching even when we don't plan to. 

Monday we jumped on a ferry to go to Kingston, partly to give me an experience with the Seattle ferry system, but mostly so we could eat breakfast crepes. 
Got there just before the morning rush. 


A delicious way to start our day


These chairs were all around town. Not sure the reason. 

It was a beautiful sunny day. 

We jumped back on the ferry and drove over to Fremont. 
Everyone decided it was a day for boating. This picture does no justice to the amount of boats on the water.


We walked around Gasworks Park


and looked at the infamous Troll, under the bridge. 

While we were there we also popped into a large antique store. They had a ton of cool stuff-including the kitchen set that I brought to college and am still using to this day. Also, it should be noted that it was a sunny day, we walked around a lot and it was freaking H.O.T. Definitely was regretting the black skinny jeans. 

By this time we were ready to eat, so we went to Tacos Chukis. 
Pineapple on carnitas tacos just make so much sense and I don't know why this isn't the standard. 

Afterward we hit up a fancy grocery store so I could try this cookie: 
Tip: Eat cold/room temperature, so you can actually taste the cookie, and not just the hot melty chocolate. Just a personal preference there. 
Adam also found Four Cheese Kraft Mac and Cheese at this store and was thrilled-he hasn't been able to find it since Provo. So it was wins all around.  

Once we got home, we were beat. So we took it easy, watched a movie, and ate some Four Cheese Mac & Cheese. 

Then all too soon it was Tuesday morning and I was on a flight back to SF. 

I had such a fun visiting Breanne and Adam, they were the best of hosts and perfect travel companions. Can't wait to see them again, with a resolve of not letting it get to 2 years again.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs