Hiking Half Dome

Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Since I have lived here I have planned to go to Yosemite on 3 separate occasions. All 3 times, something has prevented me from going. So I was a little surprised when I found myself actually driving toward Yosemite National Park. I also was surprised when the supposed cabin we were staying in looked like this: 
Granted, this is a cabin. We just had no idea we would need to bring our own pillows, sleeping bags, blankets, or really anything else one needs when camping or to stay warm.  Josh, the person in charge of booking our room, forgot to read the description of what kind of place we were actually booking.


Luckily 2 sleeping bags found their way into our haul of stuff. Jenn and I were gifted the sleeping bags, Evan and James had the cotton liners, and Josh slept with nothing. While the boys froze, I spent the night shedding layers because I was so warm in the sleeping bag. 

At 5:15am Josh suddenly yelled, "That's it. I'm calling it. Can we be done??" And we all just started laughing, because of course none of us were having an enjoyable nights rest. 
We decided we were done trying to sleep, and drove the final hour to Yosemite. 
We made it just in time for the sunrise. 


Going on less than 5 hours of sleep, but feeling great. 


Our mission for the day: Hike Half Dome. Pictured in the distance. 

We were there for the fall colors, which was a definite bonus.
The whole hike was beautiful.

Since it wasn't the summer, the trails were relatively empty. 


It was a 16 mile round trip hike. 

Our final destination. 


On sub dome, before we summited Half Dome. 
The cables were "down" for the season. Usually these cables are propped up with poles and there are boards like steps that lead you top. So when those aren't there, you just bring harnesses, ropes, and hope you don't slip and fall. 

We made it just fine, and enlisted a fellow hiker to take some pictures for us.


I learned that I do not have a fear of heights.


Meet Jenn. My new roommate once Tiffany abandons me for marriage. 

We rested at the top for a while. 


After 4,800 feet of elevation gain, lying down felt nice. 
The way down was surprisingly easier. 
Josh risked his life to take this picture of us. #doitforthegram


The hike down was a much quicker process.


I definitely appreciated the surroundings a  lot more on the way down. 
One of the 2 waterfalls along the trail. 
I honestly can't say enough good things about the hike. It was amazing and I loved it all. 

And 10 hours after leaving, we were back in the parking lot where we began. 
We devoured dinner at the lodge, and then headed back home. But not before stopping at McDonalds for some McFlurry's. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs