Memorial Weekend Tour Guides

Monday, June 5, 2017

Before we get started, here is a quick life update pre Memorial Day weekend.  

There is a little something called, The great British Bake Off. If you are looking for a cooking show to watch, look  no further. Go to Netflix and watch this show right now. I have only seen four episodes but I love it. Other people in the ward love it too, so they decided to host a "Great British Bake Off" dessert night competition. 
These were only some of the entries. 

There were designated judges and a trophy to be won. The decorations included a British flag made from streamers, a pseudo telephone booth, and cheese and crackers hors d'oeuvres.
 For our entry we made a peanut butter cake with chocolate ganache, oat crumble, Reeces Pieces, and peanut butter frosting between the layers, and frosted all over with the peanut butter frosting. Cakes from scratch are quite the process. Unfortunately, our cake was quite dry, but the frosting was dang delicious. 

This photo is from quite a while back. This is my boss and I smashing eggs against our heads for a game. 
I picked all the raw ones, and he got all hard boiled. 

For nursing home week, we had dress up days at work. Tuesday was twin day. I was a twin with Sweta. 
She has a tattoo, so to be as authentic as possible she drew one on me with maker. We didn't win the competition, and I think we were robbed. 

I also turned 24 on the 24th, so it was a golden birthday. 
My boss took me and some other coworkers out for a Birthday lunch. Let me tell you, eating  a crepe filled with ice cream is not a graceful process. 
 And at work the cook made me apple coffee cake muffins because I always mention how much I love them. This is proof that aggressive subliminal messaging works. She arranged them as my initials. 

Memorial Weekend: 
We got to spend the weekend being tour guides, because our good friend Aubrey came to spend Memorial Day weekend with us! 

Saturday we hit up the City and all of its major tourist destinations. 
First stop was the painted ladies, and update from our last visit: the park in front of them is no longer under construction.
I have determined that construction is the absolute slowest process here. For example, a road by my house is currently under construction and it was suppose to be done in December, yet there no end in sight. It adds a decent amount of time to my commute each morning. Rumor has it the delay is because they don't want the construction to interfere with some sort of indigenous rodents mating patterns/seasons. I'm sorry, what??? Never mind the humans. Liberal California, am I right? But I digress..... 

We next made made a stop at B. Patisserie, a bakery/cafe. 

Tiffany wanted to try some chocolate puffed pastry thing. It has some proper French name, but Tiffany always says it really fast and with an accent, like she has known her whole life what this pastry is and of course knows the proper way of pronunciation. I just smile and nod my head and try not to act like the ignorant, uneducated person that I am.
However it is pronounced, it is dang good. We will definitely be coming back here to try the other delicious looking items. 

We walked around Golden state park for a bit and then of course headed to the golden state bridge. 
Tourist Tip: on the chance that you visit Golden Gate Bridge and need to use the restroom (but don't have the patience to wait in line, so you decided to brave the port-a-potty) bring your own toilet paper. Or really, just see if you can wait because it was by far the grossest experience I have ever had in a port-a-potty. Which I admit, by nature doesn't really have a very high bar. I will spare you the details, but just know this, bring. toilet. paper. 
We stopped by the palace of the fine arts. 

We drove past Lombard street, because the line to actually drive down it was very not worth it. 

Tiffany and Aubrey got some dinner on Fisherman's Wharf but I opted out of that fish fest and got a cheeseburger from In-N-Out. 

We went to Musee Mecanique, the old arcade that they visit in the movie, The Princess Diaries. 

Julie Andrews touched this hand. 

We joined a dance party in front of a street performer. 
He was live streaming his crowd on his Facebook page. So if you want to see some killer dance moves by yours truly and Tiffany, Les Edwin's Facebook page is the way to go. 

We walked around pier 39, looked at the seals and then went to Ghiradelli square because samples. There are three locations at Ghiradelli square where they pass out free chocolate. So we hit up all of them. 

We ended the night with at the Baked bear. An ice cream cookie sandwich place.
 According to Tiffany and Aubrey, we also almost got abducted/attacked in China Town-where our parked car was. People react to men walking towards you at night differently, but not to fear (and I didn't), we made it out alive.

On Memorial Day we headed to Santa Cruz to enjoy the board walk, but first, we ate a burrito. I have yet to encountered a better burrito place than Los Pericos. We rode three of the boardwalk rides (which total cost $21.....)  and had a grand old time. 
The Giant Dipper is my favorite. 
Does anyone ever buy these photos?

On Tuesday we took Aubrey to see the Oakland Temple. 
And then we got YogurtLand, because when you are with Aubrey, you have can't just not go to YogurtLand. 

It was so fun to have Aubrey in town and to show her the sights. 
Come visit. come vist.  come visit. *aggressive subliminal messaging. 

2 comments :

  1. HOW THE H*&$ do you stay so skinny and eat ALL OF THAT. Holy cow. one thing I've learned, if you're a friend of Carlie's you must be a friend of food. ;)
    Jk jk. So fun to see all this, because I definitely don't see it on the IGram...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha the trick is this: SHARE EVERYTHING. And any friend of food is definitely a friend of mine.

      Delete

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs