My Life, As Told Through Snapchat

Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Since I am a millennial I use many different social media apps to let all my friends know what I am doing all of the time, even if what I am doing is non-monumental or not interesting in the slightest. I don’t know what it is about feeling the desire to let people know such details about my life, but it is a thing, and I love it. This desire has led to Snapchat being the primary documenting source of my life. And since this is a blog all about me and my life, it feels only right to tell you about what has been going on by dissecting some of my Snapchat videos for your viewing pleasure.

I had to upload these videos to YouTube just to be able to put them on here, which I didn’t want to do, but it was the only way.

Disclaimer. These are not exciting.



Welcome to east palo alto. In this video we learn that even the default geotag on snapchat understands just how ghetto this place is. La Cazuela is a restaurant just down the street from us, and it is definitely the best place to eat within our vicinity. It’s quite delicious. Most of the Mormon kids know about this place and eat here, so it’s not unusual to run into the other YSA’s.  It gets rave reviews on Yelp.

Some of the reviews have a trend:

One wrote: “The area is a bit sketchy looking; I could have sworn I saw a drug deal go on outside. However, the inside of the restaurant had a very homey feel.

Another wrote “Definitely recommend, but don't leave any valuables in the car!"

And one more for good measure, “when we were eating some lady was passing by outside asking for change, so just FYI it's in that kind of hood”.

EPA is not for everyone, but this restaurant is.

One Saturday night, Tiffany decided it was finally time she bought a dresser and stop living out of her suitcase.  This is how that night transpired:



As made evident by the first 19 seconds of this video, we do a pretty good job at entertaining ourselves. The sad thing is that we actually passed up going dancing with some friends to finish putting this dresser together.  Talk about antisocial, but once you get started it’s hard to stop.  We finished at 1 in the morning.  We were somehow able to convince Austin to come over to help us. This video was clearly in the beginning stages of our friendship, as made evident by the clothes he is wearing. He never tries that hard anymore.  Now he wears socks with his Tevas.

A halfhearted attempt at documenting a night in San Francisco:



This is a prime example of filming for the sake of letting your friends know that you are somewhere cool. Nothing happens in this video. Why did I use that “Fisherman’s Wharf” geotag?  It covers up most of the video, but how else would people know that I was in San Francisco if I hadn’t??

I do like that it documents that we all bought matching T-shirts on a whim. We got the idea, and went around to all the shops on Pier 39 trying to find the best deal. We bought them, and immediately put them on.  What tourists.  

Again you see that it is Tiffany, Austin, and I all hanging out together (as it would be for many days and nights to come). That night we also went to golden gate park, played some cheap games at Musée Mécanique(the retro penny arcade on fisherman’s Wharf) got three free samples each and a chocolate chip cookie at Ghirardelli Square, and we also...


unintentionally ran into our friends on their honeymoon. One night after their marriage (that we couldn’t attend because we don’t live in Utah anymore), we saw them on the streets in SF. The world is so small.

Something people do for fun around here is go to the Ritz Carlton fire pits at Half Moon Bay. One Friday night we went with some people from the ward.  Ari brought stuff for smores, and we all sat around and chatted under the stars. 
For a few minutes we shared the pit with two 30ish year old women who sipped their wine and chatted to each other about their previous trips. To be discrete, tiffany texted me, “us in 15 years”.  We can only hope. At one point a worker from the hotel came to tell us when the fire pits would be turning off, and he had a British accent. It must be a requirement if you want to work in the high end hotel business. Or maybe they provide linguistic tutors to all their employees so they can learn accents to appear extra fancy.



This video is another “look at me and where I am” moment.  In my opinion Tiffany makes the video, because she looks just a little bit crazy with her wide eyes and the wind in her hair. If you happened to notice the random boy in the video just staring at the camera, it’s not a ghost, that’s Brandon. He came with us when we went to go down to the beach.

And here is just a picture taken with snapchat.



My brother Josh had a long layover in SF, so I went and picked him up from the airport and we went to dinner. We got tacos, and they were delicious. Then I dropped him back off. It was the first time I had seen a member of my family in the flesh since moving out here.


In conclusion, if it weren’t for Snapchat, I would have zero video evidence of my life. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Theme by: Pish and Posh Designs